Senior associate (Abogado)
Javier is a senior associate in the marine, trade and energy team in the Madrid office. He specializes in ship finance transactions, having almost 12 years’ experience in advising shipyards, shipowners and financial institutions in the shipbuilding, sale and purchase, and financing of all type of vessels within the Spanish market. He has particular experience with the Spanish Tax Lease system and the Spanish RD 874 financing structure.
A member of the Spanish Maritime Law Association, Javier has authored various articles related to shipbuilding and ship finance matters, which have been published in a specialized national shipbuilding and ship finance magazine.
Javier qualified as a Spanish lawyer in 2007. He subsequently practised in the Spanish office of the international firm KPMG, and afterwards within the shipbuilding department of a boutique firm.
Recent work highlights
- Advising a Spanish shipyard in relation to shipbuilding contracts, refund guarantees, ship mortgages and deliveries for four live-fish carrier vessels built for a Norwegian shipowner.
- Acting for a Spanish shipyard in relation to the construction and financing of a RO-PAX vessel for an international shipowner.
- Advising a Spanish shipyard in relation to the construction and financing of a hooper dredger vessel for an international shipowner and dredging company.
- Assisting an international syndicate of banks regarding the granting, registration and cancellation of several ship mortgages for six Spanish flagged vessels.
- Advising a Spanish tax lease arranger in relation to the implementation, development and termination of several tax lease structures, in respect of multiple vessels built by Spanish shipyards.
- Assisting a Spanish bank and leasing company regarding the ‘Spanish Tax Operating Lease’ implemented for the acquisition of an LNG vessel by a Spanish shipowner, and assisting in the delivery by a Korean shipyard.