Jonathan is an associate in the commercial dispute resolution team. He specialises in insolvency related matters as well as complex contractual issues, Companies Act claims, shareholder disputes and high-value debt recovery work.
During his career Jonathan has worked on a number of noteworthy national and international cases ranging in value and complexity. He understands the financial, time and wider pressures that clients face and, as a result, he recognises the importance of settling matters early through a variety of alternative dispute resolution methods while simultaneously meeting client objectives.
Jonathan trained and qualified at a regional firm with a national and international client base before joining Penningtons Manches Cooper in 2020. As a result of his previous role, Jonathan is experienced in carrying matters forward both at County Court and High Court level.
Recent work highlights
- Successfully leading a case for a client based in the UAE in an application to recover a £250,000 debt (plus interest) through utilising suitable insolvency procedures against the backdrop of the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Bill/Act 2020.
- Leading on a complex defence for a client regarding a debt that arose in the UAE, which the claimant was attempting to enforce using the insolvency courts of England and Wales. The case was settled at a little over 10% of the original claim value, in a situation where the client would have had to pay an amount in any event.
- Working as part of a team to successfully utilise insolvency law to enable a client (acting on behalf of an estate) to recover funds against a rogue director/shareholder.
- Advising on the insolvency aspect of a drawn-out dispute between a client and another party, whereby the previous property litigation had stalled due to appeals.
- Successfully acting for a sports agency in a shareholder dispute, which developed into an urgent High Court application.