Hugo Costa Liziario
Hugo is an associate in the commercial dispute resolution team in London. He has expertise in securities litigation, banking and financial services litigation, debt claims, injunctions, cross-border insolvency, professional negligence, and contractual disputes.
Regularly acting for both claimants and defendants, including large corporate entities and high net worth individuals, Hugo advises on both national and international commercial disputes, where English law is involved.
Hugo qualified in September 2020 and joined Penningtons Manches Cooper shortly afterwards. Prior to joining the firm, he worked at a leading litigation-only national law firm for almost five years. Hugo is a member of a number of legal organisations, including LSLA, JLSLA (as a Penningtons Manches Cooper champion and committee member), AIJA, Multilaw, and the Law Society.
Recent work highlights
- Acting on behalf of 43 passengers of an international flight that crashed in South America a few years ago. Live proceedings involve attempting to lift two interim anti-suit injunctions granted in this jurisdiction against UK insurance entities for enforcement purposes, in light of settlements secured in the US for approximately $900 million.
- Advising a UK property developer in litigation against a set of architects and engineers which failed to properly design a carpark. The claim value was approximately £5 million and the matter settled at mediation.
- Further acting for the above client against a firm of former solicitors in a professional negligence claim.
- Acting for a Brazilian spread-betting investor against an international bank headquartered in London on a fraud claim worth approximately $1 million.
- Advising a Georgian company on a breach of rental agreements and failure to pay charges claim against another Georgian entity that was operating a TV station at the claimant’s studio. The contract comprised a LCIA arbitration clause.